Friday, March 07, 2014

Cravings During Lent

I can get some crazy cravings sometimes. A certain food will pop into my head and it will linger until it's fed. Sometimes, a substitute will work, such as a sugar-free Reese's cup instead of a Godiva coconut creme, but these instances are rare.

For Lent, I decided to give up sweets altogether. I'm not really supposed to have them (chalk that up to yet another health issue), but I haven't been doing great at staying away. A bite here and a nibble there adds up to a lot of sugar and more frequent cravings. I figured this season would be a good time to recommit myself to staying away.

So, when the craving hit, you might have thought it would have been something sweet and sugary. Nope. It was Qdoba calling out to me and I intended to succumb to that craving. I hopped in my car, dealt with the snow that has been falling at a pretty fast rate, and got myself a bowl of deliciousness to bring home. As I turned the ignition in my car off in my driveway, it suddenly hit. It's Friday. It's Lent. I'm Catholic. No meat on Fridays during Lent and my bowl has yummy shredded beef.

NO! I contemplated cheating. My husband is at work and my kids are at school. No one would know. Well, that last part just wouldn't be true. I would know and God would know. I don't believe that God would strike me down for eating meat on a Friday, but I do believe He knows why we have this tradition of sacrifice. I like to think that He appreciates it despite how small the sacrifice might be compared to what He has given. When we mess up, I imagine He understands and doesn't hold it against us. However, I also think to deliberately shrug it off is to deliberately shrug off any sacrifice He's made, and I can't imagine that's a way to make God happy.

So, literally for the love of God, the bowl went straight into the refrigerator, untouched. The smells of the seasoning and salsa have lingered in the house offering a battle of wills. I'll prevail. The bowl can wait until midnight. Maybe, if I make it to Heaven, God will provide me with all the Qdoba I can eat. ;)